A humidifier can technically cause mold to grow in the room it’s in because it literally adds moisture to the environment.
However, this is not a common concern because the humidity level would have to be elevated for an extended period of time.
Humidifying up to normal levels (under 55% RH) will not cause mold growth.
Mold growth due to humidifiers is abnormal because humidifiers that people use in their homes are only designed to hold so much water. Plus, they typically only run overnight.
It would take continuous refilling and constant use of the humidifier to raise the humidity of a room high enough to reliably grow mold.
If you are concerned about the risk of mold when using a humidifier, try to get a humidifier that will automatically stop when it meets a certain humidity level in the room.
Check Relative Humidity Levels When Using a Humidifier
Of course, an already humid area of the house with the addition of a humidifier can increase the chances of mold growth.
If you are concerned about moisture or humidity causing mold to grow in your home, you can simply get a humidity monitor or sensor. These typically cost no more than $10 online or at department stores.
As long as the house or room remains consistently under 55% RH (Relative Humidity), you are most likely in the clear.
Normal ranges for humidity are generally 30%-50%, so just be mindful if you are creeping toward the high end of things when using a humidifier.
Who to Contact for Mold Remediation
Whether it’s because of high humidity in your home, or because of an event of recent water damage, mold can become a serious concern for your property.
ServiceMaster by Replacements provides mold abatement in the Ocean, Monmouth, and Union county areas of New Jersey. Our mold specialists are IICRC-certified and will locate the mold, safely contain the spread, and effectively eliminate it from your property.
We are available 24/7 at (732) 842-6917.