Having your home catch fire is one of the scariest things that could happen to you, especially if you’re dealing with a grease fire. A kitchen mishap, such as undercooking food or simply forgetting to take something off the stove, can quickly burn hot and out of control if it isn’t handled quickly and efficiently. While these may seem like uncommon situations, they do happen and can be very dangerous depending on what kind of situation you are faced with.
There are few things more terrifying for a homeowner than a kitchen fire. If you’ve ever experienced an emergency scenario in your home, you know how important it can be to know how to respond beforehand and take the appropriate steps quickly to control the situation. Similarly, being prepared and knowing how to handle a grease fire before it happens can make all the difference in the event you’re ever faced with one. In this blog post, we will cover some vital tips for efficiently dealing with grease fires so you can protect your home and keep yourself and your family out of danger.
Table of Contents
What to Do if You Have a Grease Fire in Your Kitchen
In the event of a grease fire, it is critical to know what to do—and what not to do—to extinguish it safely and effectively. Here are some steps you can take when you have a grease fire in the kitchen.
Turn off the heat source
The first and most important step in extinguishing grease fires is to remain calm and turn off the heat source. This will prevent the fire from escalating and reduce the risk of further damage. If the fire is in a pan on the stove, turn off the burner. If it’s in the oven, simply turn the heat off and keep the door closed.
Smother the flames
Smothering the flames is one of the most effective ways to put out a grease fire in your kitchen. To do this, you’ll need to cover the flames with a metal lid or another metal object, such as a baking sheet or a pan. Be sure to use oven mitts or another type of protective gear when handling the lid or metal object, as they will be hot.
Do not use water to put out grease fires. One common misconception is that water should be used to put out the flames. However, water can actually worsen a fire, and instead it is recommended to use a lid or baking sheet to smother the flames. Using this method, the fire will be deprived of oxygen and eventually burn out on its own.
Use baking soda
If you find yourself without a lid or baking sheet to smother the flames, baking soda and salt can be lifesavers in extinguishing grease fires. Keeping a box of baking soda or salt within reach of your stove is often crucial in preventing the situation from escalating. Just remember to use a substantial amount of baking soda, as it takes a significant quantity to effectively put out a grease fire–especially if it is large. Safety should always be a top priority in the kitchen, and this simple yet effective tip can help keep you and your home protected.
Use a fire extinguisher
When it comes to kitchen safety, having a fire extinguisher on hand is always a good idea—more specifically, a Class B fire extinguisher in the event of a grease fire. It’s important to store the fire extinguisher in a convenient location within easy reach so you can quickly access it if a fire breaks out. It is also equally important to make sure you know how to use the extinguisher properly, so be sure you understand how your fire extinguisher works and check the label to confirm that it’s suitable for Class B fires. Taking these steps can help you prepare for the unexpected and respond quickly in case of an emergency.
In the event of a rapidly spreading fire that cannot be extinguished quickly, the best course of action is to evacuate the home and contact 911 immediately. While it may be tempting to try and handle the fire yourself, it’s important to remember that your safety is the number one priority. Firefighters are highly trained professionals who have the tools and expertise necessary to handle even the most serious of fires. Don’t hesitate to call for help—it’s always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to the safety of yourself and your loved ones.
Contact a fire damage restoration company
Once the flames are extinguished, the aftermath can be overwhelming. Don’t try to clean up on your own — you may not know all of the proper safety precautions that should be taken when dealing with smoke and soot. A professional can help remove the smoke from your home and ensure that no harmful residue remains.
Calling a professional fire damage restoration company like ServiceMaster by Replacements is crucial in ensuring that the affected area is properly repaired and restored. Our professionals have the knowledge, experience, and equipment necessary to handle even the toughest fire damage scenarios. Trust in our professionalism and expertise to help you get your home back to its pre-fire condition, so you can move forward with peace of mind.
Knowing how to extinguish grease fires safely and effectively is crucial for any homeowner, as emergency situations can occur at any moment and often without warning. Remember to turn off the heat source and remain calm, then attempt to put out the flames with a lid, baking soda, or a fire extinguisher. Lastly, when in doubt, call 911 and contact a professional restoration company directly after they arrive onsite to begin repairing damaged areas. It’s important to be prepared for any type of emergency that can occur in the kitchen and understand how to take proper safety measures. By equipping yourself with this knowledge and being prepared to act if an accident occurs, you can keep yourself and your loved ones safe from the damaging effects of grease fires.